Frequently Asked Questions
Window Film FAQ
What is window film?
An off-shoot of interstellar travel over 30 years ago, it's essentially a polyester sheet, with an adhesive backing which bonds to glass. Sun-X has been applying window film since its inception, and even treating windows prior to this.
What can window film do?
- make glass shatter-proof
- reflect the sun's heat
- reduce winter heat loss
- reduce glare
- reduce fading and rotting of fabrics
- provide frosted or one-way privacy
- reduce energy costs and carbon emissions
- provide a decorative effect
Will it make the room dark of the windows mirrored?
Not necessarily. While dark reflective films will provide maximum heat reduction, there are now available some extremely effective 'clear' non-reflective solar films, making them ideal for listed buildings, or where high light levels are required.
Will it have bubbles and creases?
No, not when professionally installed by Sun-X trained and highly experienced personnel. The clearer variety of films will even be invisible to the human eye.
Is it expensive?
- Solar Film - in a commercial context, it can pay for itself in as little as three years, based on energy savings on heating & cooling systems.
- Safety Film - much less expensive than glass replacement, prevents damage to people, IT equipment/display stock, and prevents legal liabilities from injury caused by shattered glass.
- Privacy Film - significantly less expensive than sandblasting, and can be removed/replaced.
- UV Film - restoration from sun damage will be much more expensive; some objects are priceless.
My conservatory/office is too hot - will blinds help?
Blinds are not the most effective solution to solar heat gain, as the heat has already entered the building. Most blind fabrics will absorb, rather than reflect heat, which will re-radiate into the room. Even materials with reflective backings will rarely have sufficient capacity to reflect a substantial amount of heat, especially back through sealed units in double glazing. Solar window film reflects heat at source, and is therefore much more efficient.
My windows are out of arm's reach - can you help?
Sun-X manufactures and installs a wide range of motorised systems, now including battery & solar powered ranges, avoiding the cost and invasive installation of electrical wiring.
I have very large windows - what can you do?
Not only do Sun-X manufacture extremely heavy-duty systems to cope with wide and/or tall windows, some of our fabrics are over three metres wide, reducing the need for either fabric joins, or light gaps where two or more blinds are butted together.