In the 1950's, before the development of the wide range of polyester window films available today, the American chemical company Dupont developed a clear alkyd resin liquid which could be flow-coated over the existing window glass. A variety of coloured tints: green, grey, gold, blue or rose coloured powders could be added to the base liquid to provide a glare reducing coating which proved to be very popular in both the American domestic and commercial markets during the 1950's and 60's.
Distributed by SUN-X International Inc. based in Houston, Texas, the process came to the attention of a recently retired member of the 'Sharps Toffee' family who set up SUN-X GB Ltd in the late 1950's with an office in Mincing Lane, London, and began marketing the process in the UK.
A multi-storey office building in Euston Road, which at the time was known as Castrol House, sported the first green coloured glass seen in the capital; a colour which proved to be very popular for the glazing of control towers at several of the nation's airports. Throughout the 1960's, SUN-X GB Ltd completed several prestigious contracts, notably London's Hilton Hotel, whose huge windows facing Park Lane were given a grey anti-glare treatment (photographic evidence still remains here!)
With the development of polyester window films. the liquid tinting process was gradually phased out, but the clear base liquid had come to the attention of conservationists who required a clear window coating which could considerably reduce the ultraviolet content of natural daylight, without altering the quality of the light or the external appearance of the building.
At the time, neither the clear polyester films nor the clear base liquid resin were sufficiently good UV filters for the conservation market. However, experiments with various UV absorbing additives, notably those used in vehicle paint, resulted in a liquid coating which was acceptable for use in museums, art galleries, and historic houses.
The Operations Manager, Mr. L.G.N. French, took on the agency for southern England; following the closure of SUN-X GB Ltd in 1968 due to the manager's ill health, he became the sole agent for the UK, ably assisted by nephew and current owner David French, operating initially under the name LGN French Ltd, before changing the company name to SUN-X (UK) Ltd. in 1979.
Until his death in 1982, Mr. L. French concentrated his efforts mainly in the conservation sector and sowed the seeds of the enviable reputation enjoyed by SUN-X (UK) Ltd today. The company continued under the directorship of David French and with co-director Trevor Till who joined the company in 1985, the services offered by the company were considerably improved and extended.
SUN-X remains under the directorship and ownership of Messers French and Till; James Willson joined the company in 1997, and has for the past few years been responsible for overseeing day-to-day operations.
The Royal Warrant was awarded to SUN-X in 2004, who proudly continue to maintain this ultimate accolade of trust, quality and expertise.